Here are some of my thoughts about the election:
- Having worked on the campaign for this last year and in the 2008 campaign for Mitt Romney, I obviously have grown pretty attached to this presidential campaign season and election. But I was surprisingly objective going into the Election night. I would say I probably guessed a 40/60 chance that Mitt would win. I knew that we had less ground people in Ohio and I thought it would come down to Ohio. But once the night came around, I was surprised at how nervous I was. I was also extremely surprised at how much Obama won by. I thought it would be much more of a nail-biter. I thought I would be up all night. It felt very anti-climactic and obviously extremely disappointing to have such an early and decisive loss.
- Grandpa Barney passed away the night before the election. He said he wanted to stick around until the election, but I think I should have taken this as a sign that he knew Romney wasn't going to win so there was no point in sticking around :)
- I was very proud of Mitt when he gave his concession speech. I thought he was brief, gracious, and sincere. I felt sick to my stomach for him and his family who has devoted SO much time and money to their race for the white house. I know that he believed it was what he was supposed to do, and I really do hope they feel at peace after the loss.
- I liked Barack Obama's speech. I felt like he was inspiring and motivating, and it did actually make me feel a bit more hope that perhaps things would improve. I didn't appreciate how he glossed over the economy. The only thing he even really mentioned about it was that it was in the past tense and that pissed me off quite a bit. He mentioned fixing a few problems, but none of those were the economy. I also get a little bit sick of the "we rise and fall as one nation" talk. I personally believe that it is my duty to take care of my family first and I believe it is important for me to serve my fellow men, but not in a way that is dictated by my government.
- Even though the Senate won a lot of key Democratic positions, I was really excited to see the record breaking amount of women that were nominated to the Senate.
- Nick's stance on politics: "Lexie is really into it. I would just like Mitt Romney to win so I can have sex."