Friday, June 12, 2009

Poor tummy

All along Briz has struggled with her digestive system, and the doctors kept telling me she's gassy and she just needs to figure it out. But when Nick and I were in Hawaii and I was feeding her in the middle of the night, I knew that something was just not right.

We got to the doctor and just as I thought, she has acid reflux (I'm starting to get good at self diagnosis). When she's eating, she latches on and off, arches her back, cries a lot like she's in pain, and after she's done eating, she acts like she's starving. I have to take some time to calm her down after she eats. I feel so bad for her and her little tummy. It's the saddest thing when she's crying because she's in pain, and there's nothing I can do but try to comfort her. We have her on some medication, but it hasn't proven to make a huge difference yet, so we'll see.

She also got thrush for the third time, so she's on medication for that. Luckily, she's a pig and she will eat anything that enters her mouth, so she doesn't mind the medication. And the thrush medication is like her favorite part of the day because it has so much sugar. It's so funny, she smacks her lips together after having it.

Briz is growing well, she's 9 lbs. 1 oz., and we're guessing around 22 inches. And I'm very grateful for her because considering everything, she's a really good baby. She almost always sleeps well (except for last night!), and she is pretty content most of the day. Poor girl has endured her parents carting her around everywhere and has still managed to be good for us. She is starting to "talk" a lot and make cute little baby noises. Yesterday I was playing music and we were dancing, and she started singing along. I thought I would just pass out from sheer joy. She also loves to imitate people's mouths. I love her so much and just wish that she didn't have to have her stomach hurt so often.


8 comments:

Chelsea said...

Lexi, my son was also diagnosed with Acid Reflux, but we found out later he was allergic to dairy and soy. Might want to check into that. I had to take it completely out of my diet for 4 weeks before we noticed a difference. The tests will often come back negative until they are one. Good luck!

Kelly Munns said...

yuck...that's so sad! i had the same thing with isaac. although he did have acid reflux (a little, i think, he was on medication for it) i also found out that the dairy in my diet hurt his tummy. i cut it out for 9 months. he seemed way better after i took it out. i just had to be really careful with the things i bought/ate. i sent derik to the store one time to get me some non-dairy snacks and he came home with cheez-it's. nerd.

hang in there...you'll figure it out and it'll be better soon.

Unknown said...

Hey Lexie,
My niece has similar troubles...her mommy cut out dairy in her own diet and it made a big difference after the first couple weeks. Just a thought! I love your pics!

Katy

Ronell Hugh said...

Good thing she has great parents to take care of her. I wish we could make it to the baby blessing. Also, I think she looks a lot like Nick.

Papworth's said...

That's so sad, poor little girl! Isn't it amazing how much you can love someone and how, if you could, you'd take away any pain they have! Well, I hope she gets better soon!! That's so sweet that she sings with you!! I'm sure you just melted! I love your pictures from Hawaii, it looked so fun and beautiful there! I also love love love Briz's little 2-piece swimming suit and hat. Adorable!! I cannot believe how long her feet and legs are, and so skinny! Will and I are coming to Oregon for sure!! It'll be so fun!

Carrie Ross said...

She is so cute! Wrigs also had reflux, but with him he just spitup a lot! He was never fussy though, and quite honestly the medicine didn't really do that much for him. It will go away on its own. With him it wasn't til he was close to 10 months old, and after he had stained almost all my clothes and our carpet! I wish you luck!

Blackham Family said...

Tanner had and still has reflux pretty bad. My diet when I was nursing him was the main thing that helped. Spicy foods choclate, dairy. Everything good. Good luck.

She is just so cute. I love it that you took her to Hawaii. It really does make them easier to travel with.

Amander said...

Poor Briz! I hope that she gets feeling better soon. I can't wait to see that cute little thing. Let me know when I can see you while you are here!