Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Toto, I'm Not in Kansas Anymore

Substitute Kansas with Utah.
The last couple of days I have been doing district training for my job as a counselor. Most of it is extremely boring and painful, and I feel like I am back at the beginning of high school. I have had to introduce myself in the most unique ways over and over again. One of these introductions happened this afternoon; I had to group with three other educators, and we had to find things that were unique to only us and things we all had in common. The conversation went like this:


Girl #1: Oh I love Starbucks tea . . .

Girl # 2: Me too

Girl # 3: Yeah, I do too . . .

Me: Oh, I don't really drink tea

All girls: Oh okay . . .


Girl # 1: Well I love Starbucks coffee

Girl # 2: Yeah, of course

Girl # 3: We could put that down

Me: Sorry, I don't drink coffee

All girls: huh . . .


Girl # 1: Do you guys like wine tasting, cause I love wine tasting

Girl # 2: Oh yeah

Girl # 3: Mmm hmmmm, me too

Me: With a shrug, I don't drink alcohol


Extreme awkward silence.


I am realizing that I have had to introduce myself to a lot of new people that would have no clue that I am LDS, and so I'm definitely being forced to put myself out there. Even growing up, I didn't have to do that a ton because all of my friends just knew I was LDS, I didn't have to start from the beginning and explain everything. It's kind of scary, and I've been out of practice for a while. But I'm starting to get better at it.

8 comments:

Kristina P. said...

Yeah, I haven't been in a situation like that in a while. I don't think you need to start every conversation with, "Hi, my name is Lexie, and I'm a Mormon.", but I can see why it might be necessary at some point.

shaun said...

Lexie, be honest. The reason this is new to you is because you have never made friends before... I won't tell anyone. I'm glad to hear you got a job and I am jealous that you are back in Oregon. And thanks for your email about the new phone numbers cause Nick never bothered to let me know... and he still hasn't answered any of my calls. Will you kick him in the_______ for me (just kick him anywhere you feel like). Oh and A-freakin-men on the Olympic post.

Amander said...

Hm, I think you should bring pamphlets about "the mormons" to every work meeting you go to. Make sure it has lots of salacious (sp) material about polygamy and our secret rituals in it.

Nick and Lexie said...

Okay, so I re-read my post and realized it sounded like I'm introducing myself as Lexie, the Mormon girl. I have yet to actually say I'm Mormon, and am trying to avoid making a "declaration." But after people know I moved from Utah, am married, and don't drink, they begin to connect the dots. At first, I can tell people make some assumptions about me, but after getting to know me a little bit, hopefully they'll realize that I'm normal, even though I still revere the practice of polygamy, and quite frankly, wish it was still around! (sarcasm) I think mander is right, and I should bring an oversized poster of Jesus and CTR into my office. Or maybe I could bring in some Mormon ads!!! That and some spare BOM's to hand out to faculty and students should do the trick.

Amander said...

I totally knew you weren't introducing yourself as mormon. There are always those awkward moments as people start to connect the dots that you are mormon. You can tell they want to ask, but don't know if you'll be offended or something. Or maybe they are just afraid you'll start preaching.

And they've got to figure out you are cool sooner or later, right? 'Cause you are really cool ;)

Amander said...

Oh, and of course the things they want to have in common happen to be some of the few things we don't do!

Briawna said...

that's awesome. I actually miss those opportunities. Instead, I'm stuck with the MBA who have serious qualms about meeting their husband's boss in a bar. Come ooonnn! It's a bar, not a strip club. So you don't have it that bad.

But I think you should make more of those shirts "I Can't, I'm Mormon" and see what people say.

Briawna said...

uh, that was supposed to MBA wives.