Friday, January 13, 2012

Beautiful People

I normally like to read a fair amount. But lately my selection have been books all about death, grief, self-help, etc. They have been helpful, and it's always good for me to read things that help me heal as well as become more introspective. But I have read one book recently that I LOVE. It is called Grieving: the pain and the promise by Deanna Edwards. It is beautifully written and I want to share a quote from every single page that I read (that may be a warning). Here is one quote that I love and I feel is truly applicable to my life in the last few months. I have had so many wonderful people help me through this struggle. It's hard for me to put into words how grateful I am for these people. Sometimes I am in awe of how kind, empathetic, and selfless people can be.


"The most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss, and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity, and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, and a deep loving concern. Beautiful people do not just 'happen.' Growth can come in unexpected ways from the nooks and crannies of our life's experiences. In death and grief we do not need so much protection from painful experiences as we need the boldness to face them. We do not need as much to be tranquilized from pain as we need the strength to conquer it. If we choose to love, we must also have the courage to grieve. What a blessing to take time to pause from our well-meant efficiency and to realize that when a love is lost, our capacity to love is not lost also. From our grief can come growth."

-Roy Nichols-

For all the beautiful people in my life, and I hope you know who you are, thank you.

3 comments:

Amander said...

I read this quote a while back, but I can't remember where. I loved it.

And I am so excited I get to see you in just a few hours!!!!!

Danell said...

Lexie, YOU are a beautiful person getting more beautiful! Still sending prayers and good vibes for peace and healing.

ccanderson said...

Good thoughts Lexie!

The beautiful people comment is from Elisabeth Kubler Ross. Deanna Edwards trained with her.