Friday, June 29, 2012

I Am Kind of Stupid

After reading the title of this post, you might think, "Yeah, and . . . ?" But I am not just being self deprecating.  I have an actual reason as to why I was/am stupid.  It's actually a quick story as to why I'm stupid.  Here it goes:

It all started with me thinking that it would be a great idea to get overly involved in a YW activity.  We decided to force the YW to wake up at 6 a.m. the day after school gets out and hike thirteen miles to the temple.  I'm not going to lie, some of my good ol' coaching days came back to me where I secretly (or not so secretly sometimes) enjoyed torturing the girls I coached.  I got out a little of my own aggression.  But the problem with this cruel leadership was that I actually volunteered to hike it myself.  I thought it would be no big deal.  After all, I WAS training for a running relay race.  But then shortly before the grand hike was to take place, I realized that yes, I'm quite stupid.  The hike and the race took place on the same day.  Oh, and forgot to mention the fact that I bruised my heel very badly a few weeks before all of this took place, and then oh yeah, I got really sick.  Like sick sick for a week.  So two days before the hike/race, I was feeling decent.  My foot still killed and I still was very nasal-y, but I figured I could suck it up.  So sucked it up I did.  But when everyone tried to tell me how stupid I was, I just ignored them, thinking to myself that I could be pretty tough if I needed to be, and what's 13 miles walking and like 13 miles running?  No biggie.  Uh, wrong.  Fast forward to the end, I got a stupid stress fracture on my stupid foot.  I spent Father's Day (the day after the mayhem) rolling around the kitchen in an office chair trying to make a nice meal for Nick and all of our company.  Although, rolling around in a chair whilst cooking is not a bad idea for those times when you're ridiculously tired.  And, you look quite cool doing it.  Oh, except for the time I fell over in my chair onto the ground and couldn't get back up.  And also except for the many times I got my apron stuck in the chair and was like tangled in an apron mess.  Other than that, very cool.

But overall, I did have a ton of fun.  My stupidity and hurt foot were worth it because I love the Oregon Epic Relay (www.epicrelays.com).  I got to see some old friends, my in - laws came into town and had a blast with Briz, and it was actually sunny!!!

As evidence of how much fun I had, here are pictures of me shoving pretzels into my mouth while I give a dirty glare to Andrea and me passed out on Emily.



2 comments:

Unknown said...

Insanity... it is a common state among runners as they tend to disregard the mechanisms in the brain that tell others how much it hurts!!!

It was a Most EPIC weekend!!!

Amander said...

Seriously?? You are freaking crazy Lexie.