Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Airplane Ride

Nick, Briz, and I flew to Utah last Sunday for our Spring Break to visit friends and family. We definitely feel like we are getting more experienced on this whole flying with a baby thing. Oh yeah, except, we forgot to mention we were flying with a child. It was early in the morning, so I had Briz in her sling so she could still sleep. And the attendant at the check out counter, caught us right before we were done. And she asked, "Are you traveling with a child?" And I was like, "Oh yeah!" She thought, like many others, that I was just carrying a huge bag around my side. She was a little disturbed at discovering that my baby is almost a year, and still bundled up in the sling like a kangaroo. I think its almost retired :)

I can't tell you how many people have given me dirty looks and said rude things to me about carrying Briz in her sling, because there has been news about babies dying in them. This may make me an irresponsible mother, but I don't care. It has been an absolute life saver for me. Briz loves it, and so far, she hasn't died yet, not even come close (she does however get kinda sweaty in it sometimes). I know that many people have said they are unsafe, but to that I say, those mothers are just stupid. Babies also die from blankets.

But yes, sad to say, she is about too big for the sling. I suppose I am just an impatient mother, because I can't handle a baby with no nap time. And I didn't think people on the plane would want to deal with the beast that Briz can be when no nap occurs.
I was a little nervous about her flying. The last time she did was when she was 7 months, and she is MUCH more mobile these days. But she did pretty well. She slept for about half the time, and then ate the other half (that's pretty much how her days run as well). She also loved staring out the window and at other people on the plane, which creeped people out a little bit. We lover our little sling sleeper/flyer.

3 comments:

Briawna said...

As with most baby contraptions, it really is only when people aren't paying attention that accidents happen. I've had TONS of friends who've used slings, both infantino ones and home made ones, and had no problems whatsoever. People are always going to have opinions about how you should parents, and those people have usually been out of the parenting small children game for so long that they've forgotten what it's really like. Just ignore them. It was good to see you guys.

Carly said...

You are going to kill your baby with that sling

Amander said...

Well, you are a bad mom, so there.