Friday, March 13, 2009

An Answer

I'm sorry that my posts have been so serious lately. I feel like they have been, and sorta boring. But my life has pretty much been consisting of working like crazy (work has been really busy), itching like crazy, and well, worrying.

I finally got some answers this morning as to why my body is freaking out, and it is what I had sort of suspected: I have what is called obscetric cholestasis, where my liver does not function properly because of the hormones that come towards the end of pregnancy. The bile acids spill over into my blood, causing my skin to itch severely. The really scary part is that the bile acids also can cross the placenta and affect my baby. There is an increased risk for stillbirth and other complications to the baby.

Obviously, I'm a little scared and nervous. I am going to be going into the doctor twice a week to monitor the baby and make sure she's doing okay. And if at any point, they believe that she's not doing well, than I will have to deliver early. So really starting next week, I am not sure when I am going to have her. I am really scared about her health and just making sure she's alright. But then there comes a whole other host of problems: that I don't really have any of the baby stuff that I need, that it will affect my maternity leave and possibly insurance . . . and so I'm starting to stress a little bit.

Sorry for using this post as a place to vent, but its a scary thing to go through. My mind starts to wander, which isn't always good and I start to think of scenarios that are, well, worrisome. Funny how, now, my itching is the last concern I have.

Please keep Nick and I and our little girl in your prayers. Best case scenario, it doesn't affect her at all and I can deliver as late as possible. And somehow, the itching goes away!!! (However, I'm not really expecting that miracle any time soon).

7 comments:

Amander said...

Man, your pregnancy has been a total roller coaster. Of course I will be praying for you guys and baby girl Cottle.

I'll call you soon and we can chat. Hope work goes better too.

Chelsea said...

Lexie, best of luck. What a scary thing. I'm glad your doctors are going to monitor you closely.
Chelsea

Adam and Bri said...

You're in my prayers, Lex. Stay healthy and hopeful!

Blackham Family said...

Good luck with everything. We will keep you in our prayers for sure.

Cooper said...

Sorry to hear about the troubles. We heard for the firs time today and are praying for you. Pregnancy-related issues are just about the scariest things in the world.

We wish there were something more we could do for you, so let us know if there ever is. In the meantime, we will pray. A lot.

Ronell Hugh said...

Nick and Lexie, sorry to hear about my little niece having complications. I will definitely keep y'all in my prayers. Having had family difficulties in the recent months, I can somewhat understand what you're going through. Be strong and please let us know if need anything.

Meredith said...

We are praying for you! Keep the updates coming, I don't think anyone will be bothered by your serious posts.

Way to go being proactive about your health.